Business interest in measuring biodiversity performance is growing rapidly, driven by the need to better inform risk assessments and decision-making across industry sectors.
Various biodiversity measurement approaches are currently available to businesses and financial institutions. Over the last years, the EU Business & Biodiversity Platform has initiated an independent comparative assessment of these approaches to guide corporates in selecting the most appropriate approach according to their needs. However, until now this assessment has been purely based on information received from tool developers while insights from practical applications have been lacking.
This year, the Platform started to assess concrete case studies where these approaches have been applied. The number of practical case studies is growing steadily and offer on-the-ground business experience from which to learn the pros and cons of each approach.
This webinar series aims to present the findings of a number of case studies and discuss the strengths and remaining challenges related to applied measurement approaches. Each of the four webinars will cover one organisational focus area and feature up to three tool developers each presenting up to two case studies.
- Webinar (28 September): site level approaches
- Webinar (8 October): supply chain level approaches
- Webinar (15 October): corporate and sector level approaches
- Webinar (22 October): Approaches for the financial sector
- Webinar (29 October): product level approaches
Webinars will take place from 3:00 to 4:30/5:00 pm CET (4:00 to 5:30/6:00 pm EEST). Each case study presentation will clearly describe:
- The intended business application, i.e. the type of decision the biodiversity measurement tried to inform;
- The data challenges (e.g. potential data gaps and ways to address these gaps);
- The results of the biodiversity assessment and how it influenced decision-making within the company;
- Observed strengths and weaknesses of the approach;
- Lessons learnt for wider uptake of this approach.
Each session will provide sufficient time for Q&A.
This webinar series is designed for individuals willing to better understand the latest progress made in the field of biodiversity measurement for companies, including businesses and financial institution representatives, ESG providers, consultants and NGOs.
About Business & Biodiversity Platform
The EU Business @ Biodiversity Platform provides a unique forum for dialogue and policy interface to discuss the links between business and biodiversity at EU level. It was set up by the European Commission with the aim to work with and help businesses integrate natural capital and biodiversity considerations into business practices.
The event is included in the FIBS membership fee.
For more information about a specific meeting and to register, please click on the corresponding link on EU Business & Biodiversity Platform’s page. For more information on the webinar series, please visit B&B’s web page or contact Janne Fillet (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org).