In the second session of the FIBS Focus group on Business and Human Rights you will learn
- what works in integrating human rights into company operations
- how to best ensure human rights due diligence is being carried out attentively
- through a concrete company case how complaints and grievance mechanisms can be built.
Through excercises and discussion we will demystify and walk through the process of a human rights due diligence, many times perceived as a quite complicated and challenging process. We will also get the opportunity to listen to the members of the FIBS Focus group and learn from their approach to human rights due diligence.
In line with international norms and in particular the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights, many companies have begun implementing grievance mechanisms as it is required from companies to remediate human rights harms in case they have caused or contributed to them. Companies should also have operational grievance mechanisms, or collaborate with industry efforts where that is preferred. Although the process requirements appear easy and straight forward at a first glance, putting them into practice is far from a once-off exercise.
10.00 Registration, coffee and breakfast
10.15 Training: How to build your human rights due diligence – best practices and challenges, Thomas Trier Hansen & Mattias Iweborg
Our approach to Human Rights due diligence – network members
How to build a complaints and grievance mechanism – experiences and challenges
16.00 Session ends
Members sign up for a year to attend all 4 sessions included in this Focus group. The sessions are structured around three main elements: training, inspiration and sharing as well as networking opportunities. Two sessions will be organized during the spring and two in the autumn:
- 20.2. Why an organization such as yours should work strategically, and with a systematic approach to human rights
- 29.5. What works in integrating human rights into company operations and how to best ensure human rights due diligence is being carried out attentively
- 11.9. How to manage a human rights crisis and how to avoid such crisis with diligent supply chain management
- 3.12. Trends and tools that are currently shaping best practice for human rights reporting, and Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the Human rights agenda
Miira Kokkonen, 044 367 3632, miira.kokkonen(at)fibsry.fi